Monday, August 11, 2014

1 week down, 51 to go!


Dress- E-Bay; Fedora- Sears; Sandals & Belt- Thrifted; Backpack- Boutique in Colchester, England (don't remember the store's name); Sunglasses- Ardene; Nail Polish- Shellack 



They say it takes 21-28 days to form a new habit or break a bad habit. I've just completed my first week of my year of no shopping and I'm going to be honest, it's been tough.  Maybe even harder than I thought because I wasn't fully aware of how often I give in to my temptations.  My first day of the challenge I was working at twiss & weber and tights were on sale for $20.  I immediately started justifying to myself how tights could count as hosiery (on my can buy list) and that maybe I would start my shopping ban the following day.  After consulting with a friend, she reminded me that I wouldn't need tights for a couple of months yet and that I still have plenty of tights I can wear.  A few days later I was picking up a prescription at the pharmacy.  After being told it was going to be a thirty minute wait, I figured I would just browse until the time was up.  Until I realized that I would be tempted to look at and possibly buy nail polish (on my not to buy list).  So instead I drove home, did some tidying and walked to the pharmacy half an hour later.  So not only did I not shop unnecessarily, I also got some exercise and a tidier home!
 


Something fun that has come out of this challenge so far has been shopping my own closet.  I have been organizing my clothes room and came across over a dozen summer dresses I had forgotten about(counting this printed bird number) along with a few bags (including this butterfly backpack- and backpacks just happen to be trending again- hooray!) Finding items you didn't realize you owned is almost as satisfying as shopping for new pieces- bonus you don't have to spend any money!
 



Have you ever had to break any bad habits? How long did it take you? (P.S. yes that is a pug in a lifejacket- my friends' little guy Rupert!) 

 

8 comments:

  1. Good for you for stay strong. My way to break a habit. Like shopping is not to go in to stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post. Pretty pictures, cute outfit and we get to hear your mind work. I used to struggle with limiting the money I spent on clothing but now I re-classify that as Money That Makes Me Happy so I've loosened my belt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Em! Removing yourself from the distraction is a good call. I'm happy you're rediscovering clothes you forgot about. I can't wait for that to happen when I haul out my winter clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Dress and beautiful bag,and i like the cute dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rupert is adorable. I love your pretty dress. The print is so pretty. I have done a few shopping bans. Usually they just last about a month though. Right now my bad habit I am trying to break is eating sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great write-up, I am a big believer in commenting on blogs to inform the blog writers know that they’ve added something worthwhile to the world wide web!..
    LuxJunky Sneakers

    ReplyDelete
  7. The author has composed this blog in an extremely informal way.
    Choice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh it's Amaing.
    The best online boutique for all lifestyle clothing, accessories, tech and utility products inspired by nature, sustainability, health, wellness, classic fashion, cool trends and of course, epic performance. Shop our life essentials exclusively online and enjoy the best feed in The HABIT Boutique editorial content. https://hab-t.com/

    ReplyDelete

One of my daily joys is reading the lovely comments you leave. It may take a day or two (or three, depending on how hectic life gets!) but I will stop by your slice of the blogosphere soon! xo Emily